What you need For the Cupcakes:
4 eggs, yolks and whites separated
1 1/2 cups of all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup whole milk
What you need For the TRES LECHES MIX :
1 cup evaporated milk
1 cup condensed milk
1 cup heavy cream
1 cup whipped cream
What you need For the Topping:
4-5 strawberries, sliced
A dash of cinnamon powder
What to do:
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees fahrenheit (175 degrees celsius). Line cupcake tins with liners (I used 2 tins that had a capacity of 6 each).
2. Mix the flour and baking powder in a bowl and keep aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg whites until frothy (it's best to use an electric mixer but if you don't have one like me, you can do it by hand using a fork to beat the eggs. Make sure you beat it vigorously though. Trust me it's a great hand exercise too). Slowly add the sugar while continuing to beat the whites until it forms soft peaks (if you're doing it by hand then stop once the mixture turns thick and pearl white). Now add the yolks one at a time and continue to beat until it gets blended well into the mixture. Add the vanilla essence and mix well.
4. Slowly add the flour and baking powder mixture along with whole milk. Mix well and ensure that no lumps are formed.
5. Using a spoon, fill the cupcake tins with this batter. Make sure that you only fill it halfway through (the cupcakes will rise and overflow if you fill the batter till the brim).
6. Place the tins in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
7. Take the tins out of the oven and let the cupcakes cool for 10 minutes or so.
8. To prepare the tres leches mix, combine evaporated milk, condensed milk and heavy cream in a large bowl. In case you don't get evaporated milk anywhere, you can easily prepare it at home by boiling down 2 1/4 cups of whole milk to about a cup (Bring the milk to boil on a medium flame and then let it simmer on a low flame. Occasionally stir and scrape off the cream that forms on the surface. Do this till the milk comes down to 1 cup in measurement).
9. Using a fork, poke holes in the cupcakes. Additionally, create 2-3 small slits in the center of the cupcakes as well. Now, using a tablespoon, carefully add the tres leches mix to the cupcakes one at a time, especially making sure that the milk seeps in through the slits. Do this 3-4 times for all the cupcakes. Let it soak in the milk for 10 minutes or so. For best results, leave the cupcakes in the refrigerator for about 3-4 hours.
10. Add a second liner to the cupcakes in case it gets really messy with the milk mixture.
11. Finally, mix a bit of the tres leches mix with whipped cream and add a dollop of this on top of each cupcake. Garnish with sliced strawberries or any other fruit of your choice. You can also just dust some cinnamon powder over it.
12. Tadaaa. Your cupcakes are ready to be devoured.