Elbow macaroni covered in cheese sauce and fried bacon
Yields: 4 servings, Total Time: 35-40 mins
WHAT YOU NEED:
2 cups elbow macaroni, cooked
2 cups warm milk
1 cup sharp cheddar, grated
1/2 cup parmesan, grated
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp all purpose flour
4 strips of bacon
1 small onion, sliced
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup bread crumbs
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
1. Preheat the oven to 400 F / 200 C. Grease a baking pan, and add the macaroni in it. Set aside.
2. Fry bacon in a pan till it turns crispy. Once done, take out the bacon and chop it roughly. Don’t throw away the bacon fat in the pan yet. Instead, fry the onion slices in the fat till it turns golden brown. Set aside the onion for later, and add a few pieces of bacon over the macaroni.
3. In a saucepan, melt the butter over a medium - low flame. As soon as it melts, add flour, and stir continuously for about a minute.
4. Pour in warm milk, whisking continuously for about a minute or two. Add the cheddar, parmesan, salt and pepper and give it a good stir. Let it simmer for 5 mins, over a medium flame, till it becomes thick.
5. Remove from heat, and pour the mixture over the macaroni. Top it off with the remaining bacon, and crispy onion slices. Finally, sprinkle some bread crumbs over it.
6. Heat it in the oven for 20 minutes. Let it cool down for 5 - 10 minutes before serving.