Carrot and pumpkin spice flavored moist cupcakes topped with a rich cream cheese frosting
Yields: 12 cupcakes, Prep Time: 30 mins, Total Time: 40 mins
WHAT YOU NEED For The cupcakes:
4 medium carrots, peeled and grated
1 cup pumpkin purée
1 cup all purpose flour
2 cups light brown sugar
3 eggs, beaten
1/2 cup canola oil
4 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground allspice
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp vanilla essence
WHAT YOU NEED FOR The CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
2 cups cream cheese, softened
10 tbsp unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cup confectioners/powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla essesnce
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
1. Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl; flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice.
2. Add beaten eggs, melted butter, pumpkin purée, canola oil, vanilla essence, and mix well.
3. Using an electric beater on a medium speed, beat until you get a smooth batter.
4. Fold in the grated carrots and give it a good mix.
5. Preheat the oven to 350 F/ 180 C. In two 6 x 2 cupcake tins add cupcake liners that have been lightly greased with butter on the sides.
6. Using a spoon, add the batter carefully making sure that you fill it up just up to the brim.
7. Bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
8. Let it cool for at least 10 minutes once it's out of the oven.
9. For the cream cheese frosting, first mix in the cream cheese and butter. Using an electric beater on a medium speed beat well for about a minute. Stop and add the sugar and vanilla essence and mix well. Again, beat it for about 2 minutes or until well combined and smooth.
10. Add the frosting in an icing bag with a wide cross nozzle. Squeeze the end of the bag and in a circular motion moving inwards to form a small peak.
11. Since I made these for Halloween 2015, I added some chocolate chips on the frosting to make it seem like eyes and mouth, giving it the appearance of a ghost.
You can also bake a cake instead of cupcakes with the same quantity of ingredients.
Canola oil can be substituted with vegetable oil as well. You can also eliminate butter in the batter and add some more oil instead.
Add some chopped walnuts in the cake batter for that extra flavor.