Creamy mashed avocado mixed with onions, tomatoes, garlic, chili, lime juice and seasonings. Best served as a dip.
Yields: 6-8 servings, Total Time: 25 mins
WHAT YOU NEED:
4 ripe avocados
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 tomato, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 jalapeño pepper, deseeded and chopped
1 lime, juiced
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp black pepper powder
1 tsp cayenne pepper or chili pepper powder
A handful of cilantro leaves, chopped
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
1. Cut the avocados into half, vertically, and pull them apart from each other.
2. Take out the seed, and scoop out the pulp of the fruit with a spoon.
3. Roughly chop the avocado pulp and transfer them into a bowl. Add half the lime juice and mash.
4. Then add the chopped onions, tomato, jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, cayenne pepper, black pepper, salt, lemon juice and mash again. Finally add remaining lime juice and mix well.
5. Serve with tortilla chips.
- Before mixing all ingredients, taste the avocados to make sure it's not spoilt ( I once accidentally added a spoilt one which needless to say spoilt the entire guacamole).
- Ideally use a mortar and pestle to mash all the ingredients, but if you don't have one you can use a bowl and a potato masher or the convex end of a spoon to get the job done.