Soft shell tacos made with a filling of spicy Goan sausages.
Yields: 12 servings, Total Time: 25 mins
What you need:
10 links of Goan pork sausages
1 big onion, sliced and chopped
7 flakes of garlic, chopped
1 handful of Baby Spinach leaves
1 tablespoon Sour cream
1 tablespoon Hot Salsa
Half a cup of Cheddar cheese, shredded
1 Tortilla (Add more for more tacos)
What to do:
1. Cut the thread and tear open the casing of the sausages to get the meat out. Chop it up and leave aside.
2. In a pan, add about a teaspoon of oil and fry the sliced onions for about 2 minutes over a medium flame. Now add the chopped sausages. Mix, and let it cook for about 15-20 minutes. Goan sausages secrete a lot of oil when it's been cooked. So fret not if you see an oily pool form within a few seconds of adding the sausages. Once cooked, take the pan off the flame and keep aside.
3. Now, heat a flat pan over a medium flame. Place the tortilla on the pan, and while it's heating sprinkle some cheddar cheese over it. Once the cheese melts, take the tortilla off the pan and place it in a plate, cheese side facing up.
4. In another pan, add a tablespoon of oil and over a medium flame fry the chopped onions and garlic together until it softens.
5. Put the softened onions and garlic mixture on the tortilla and add salsa and sour cream over it. Mix well and spread across. Add the jalapeños and a few baby spinach leaves over it. Finally, add the cooked sausages. Fold the tortilla and voila you're taco is ready to eat.
P.S Normally, I would have suggested replacing an ingredient if it's not available, and I know that Goan sausages are hard to get out of Goa, but in this case I'm not willing to replace the Goan sausages with anything else. The essence of this dish is the Goan sausage and it won't be the same with any other kind of chorizo or meat for that matter. For more on Goan sausages check out the food blog on this site.