A bhutanese chili and cheese soup considered to be the national dish of Bhutan.
Yields: 4 servings, Total Time: 15-20 mins
What you need:
1 Medium onion, sliced
1 ripe tomato, chopped
2 long green chili peppers
5 flakes of garlic, whole
1 medium potato, sliced
5-6 cubes of white processed cheese
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
1.5 cups of water
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
What to do:
1. Heat a wok over a medium flame, add oil and heat the onions, tomatoes, garlic and potatoes.
2. Slit the green chili peppers vertically and chop it in half. Add this in the wok and stir. (You can add more if you want it to be more spicy)
3. Now add water and mix everything well. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the cheese cubes and stir continuously till the cheese melts. Cover the wok. After 10 minutes open and add butter. Mix well.
5. Finally add salt to taste. Pepper is optional since the dish is already spiced with green chili.
6. Cook for another 5 minutes or until the soup turns slightly thick. Check if the potatoes are cooked thoroughly.
7. Serve hot with steamed rice or grab a spoon and just dig in.