Soft, tender chunks of beef in a tangy and spicy cilantro based gravy
Yields: 6-8 servings, Prep Time: 20 mins, Total Time: 90 mins
WHAT YOU NEED:
1.5 lb/600-700 gms stewing beef, cut in 1 inch cubes
3 medium red onions, peeled and chopped
1 small tomato, chopped
7 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1.5 inch ginger, chopped
3 long green Indian chilies, chopped
1 small ball tamarind
1 bunch cilantro, chopped along with the stems
1/2 cinnamon stick
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
2 tbsp white vinegar
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2-3 tsp salt
WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO:
1. Add 1 teaspoon salt and 1 tablespoon vinegar to the beef chunks. Rub it and set aside to marinate for 15-20 minutes at least.
2. Soak tamarind in 6 tablespoons of warm water for 15 minutes. Once the tamarind softens, squeeze it to get the extract.
3. Add 4 tablespoons of oil in a pressure cooker and fry onions over a medium flame. When the onions turn translucent, add beef, and pressure cook it for 4-5 whistles. Take the contents off the cooker and keep it aside.
4. Add ginger, garlic, chilies, tomato, tamarind extract, peppercorns, cloves, cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, and cilantro in a mixer and grind it till you get a smooth paste.
5. Heat remaining oil in a cooking pot over a medium-low flame. Add beef and onions.
6. Add the paste. Pour some water into the container that you ground the paste in, and add that in the pot. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of vinegar and mix well. Add more water if the gravy is too thick for your liking. Also, check and add some more salt and pepper if necessary.
7. Reduce the heat to a low flame. Cover the lid and let it slow cook for about 45-50 minutes or until the beef turns tender.
8. Serve hot with rotis/parathas or steamed rice/pulao.
In case you don't have a pressure cooker, cook the beef and onions in the pot and increase the cooking time by 15-20 minutes (total cooking time will be around 80 minutes)
You can substitute chicken for beef. The cooking time in this case will be reduced to 20-30 minutes since chicken cooks faster than beef.
You can also add potatoes and carrots to enhance the taste. In this case, add them in the pot after you've put the beef and onions. Also, don't marinate the beef with vinegar, instead add all the vinegar in the pot before you slow cook the mixture.