Prawns covered in a warm mustard and butter garlic sauce.
Yields: 4-5 servings, Total Time: 15-20 mins
What you need:
1lb (1/2 kg) medium sized prawn/shrimp, cleaned and deveined.
1 long Indian green chili pepper
2-3 tablespoon mustard (For best results use the Pub style/Old fashioned mustard from Stonewall Kitchen)
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
5 tablespoon salted butter
1 entire bulb of garlic, chopped
1/2 teaspoon salt
2-3 cilantro leaves (optional)
What to do:
1. Rub mustard all over the prawns. Make sure that every single one is evenly coated. Add half a teaspoon of salt, and mix well. Cover, and leave aside for 20-30 minutes.
2. Melt butter in a bowl, and add chopped garlic to it. Mix well, and set aside for about a minute or two.
3. Heat a large deep pan/wok over a medium flame. Add the butter garlic mixture, and lower the heat to a medium - low flame, cooking for about a minute, or till the garlic softens.
4. Slit the chili pepper vertically and add it in the pan. Let it cook for a minute or two.
5. Add the mustard marinated prawns. Stir well, making sure that the prawns absorb the spicy butter garlic mixture. Cover the pan, and let it cook for 10 - 15 minutes.
6. Once the prawns turn light pink in color, lower the heat, and add the mayonnaise. Mix well. Check to see if the prawns are cooked. If soft and tender, turn off the gas and cover the pan for 5mins. Lastly add salt and pepper according to taste. Garnish with cilantro.
A quick way to defrost prawns/shrimps is to place it directly under cold running water for a while. 10 - 15 minutes of this treatment helps defrost them quickly.